Thursday, January 06, 2011

Cold Winter's Knight

I don't dare delete the Myspace ad, not knowing what else it will take with it. The part about other artists like David Wyman amuses me.

I learned from Ben not to ask lade my request to listen with apologies, so I restrain myself.

The song is one of few saved from the wreckage of my senior project in 1974-75, a folk opera on the Arthurian legend. The recording dates from that time - in fact I never listened to it again after the night it was completed until about two years ago. I have played and sung a few of the pieces on occasion over the years. The song is Lancelot's, after others have achieved the Grail and been translated to heaven, but he has been left behind, unworthy. You can see that theologically, Lance still doesn't get it, quite.

There will be four further songs posted.

Find more artists like Dave Wyman at Myspace Music



Hear, I have failed my task.
Please, is it too much to ask?
Well I am looking for a placement here
Do you have and extra dragon here?
Do you have a place where I can stay?

Ch: If I could just save a lady fair
Turn on the dream and leave it there.
Pretend we're alone and the fire is bright
On a cold winter's knight.

Sir, I had seen the Grail
So tell me how could I fail?
Well I could could get some wood and nail away,
Build myself a boat and sail away.
Travel to a land where I could stay.

I thought I could rise again;
Lean on the grace of friends.
But I can see how quickly you forgot
I was the best knight but now I'm not,
Now I'm just an empty coat of mail.

I thought I could return
Bask in the grace I earned
But now I know that's not what God has planned.
One thing of His will I understand...


Ch: If I could just save a lady fair
Turn on the dream and leave it there.
Pretend we're alone and the fire is bright
I'm a Cold Winter's Knight.

No comments: