Wednesday, March 25, 2020

When All You've Got Is A Hammer...

...everything looks like a nail.

The Environment Editor at the Guardian quotes the Environment chief at the UN.

I think you can predict this before I print it.

Coronavirus: 'Nature is sending us a message’, says UN environment chief

The accompanying photograph has the caption " A tree stands alone in a logged area prepared for plantation near Lapok in Malaysia’s Sarawak State" which is clearly a C19-related item. Darn those loggers!

James Barr tweeted back: In Medieval times people believed that the plague was divine retribution for their sinful behavior.

There is certainly a connection between human behavior and human diseases.  I don't think that qualifies as actual news. I think it is important that we ask people who are telling us how to live our lives and have some influence over making that happen to make a tighter connection than the broad category of "human behavior."  I give them credit that they did call out wet markets. I doubt this will be a big focus of the Guardian lecturing the Chinese going forward, but they did at least mention it once.  The second time, they will get called racist.

No comments: