Sunday, March 15, 2020

Peer Pressure

Young people are by nature greater risk-takers, and older people are by nature more cautious. Yet this is not only because of the usual explanations of (bitter) experience and biology. We all run in a peer group which reinforces both inclinations. Even cautious young people swim in a culture of others taking more risks, of saying "Screw it!  The danger's not that bad, it's just a bunch of old people panicking!  I'm heading for the pub!" Older people, even those who are dismissive of the overexcitement around them swim in a different fishbowl, of friends who aren't having anyone over at present or are just staying home more.

This must reinforce the online intergenerational anger I am seeing.

2 comments:

Sam L. said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOO bummed! I'm getting none of that intergenerational anger. Why, oh WHY am I being ignored??????

Assistant Village Idiot said...

If it's criticism you are looking for, I can oblige.