Sunday, June 28, 2020

Reporting

I was interested in how things were playing out with the Swedish Somali community, which is less than 1% of the population but had 5% of the coronavirus cases as of May.  The reports I read then indicated that Somalis paid much less attention to quarantining, even after showing symptoms. They would go out and visit among each other and be out in public areas as well.  This seemed partly due to false beliefs about the virus, especially that Muslims could not get it, but also because many just seemed not to care very much.  If they wanted to go out, they went out.

I am not easily finding updates.  The reporting in Europe, when it mentions this at all, frames it that the increased rate of illness is a product of economic inequality and segregation, rather than risky behavior on the part of the Somalis.  There were a couple of articles that mentioned only "immigrant populations," so I have to wonder if there are other groups which are less cautious as well.  Even if so, likely not as bad, or it would have been mentioned by someone, somewhere.

I have to wonder what is going on in the newsrooms.  Do they slant things this way because they don't want to "hurt" the Somalis and the cause of immigration in general by encouraging others to think bad things about them? Do they really think such things are the result of poverty and segregation rather than stemming from similar causes? Are the few deaths regarded as unimportant because it provides an opportunity to "talk about larger issues," as if there were an abundance of issues that are larger than death?  I have to wonder if it goes so far as to mean "It would be better if this were true, so this is what shall go in the official record. We will force it to be true by erasing the counterevidence."

4 comments:

james said...

Or do they fear being accused of "encouraging others to think bad things about them"?

RichardJohnson said...

I have to wonder what is going on in the newsrooms. Do they slant things this way because they don't want to "hurt" the Somalis and the cause of immigration in general by encouraging others to think bad things about them?

There is a general Euro attitude to not phrase things in a way that will reflect badly upon certain groups- unless, of course, the group happens to be white Americans. Recall the reluctance to point out the sex abuse of girls in Rotherham UK and who was doing the abusing - Muslims.

Another example: CDC data on killings indicate that the white murder rate in the US is about the same as the overall murder rate in Europe. (Not just western Europe, but Europe to the Urals.) If you bring up that fact to Euros who are ranting about out of control gun possession in the US leading to out of control murder rates in the US, you will not get a good reception. (Nor will they like it being pointed out that as whites have higher gun possession rates and much lower murder rates than blacks, there is not in the US a correlation between murder rate and possession of guns.)

Donna B. said...

I can't find where I read it though it was in some book about Scots. What I remember is a discussion between publishers about publishing truth or propaganda and the decision that propaganda was more profitable... and probably more palatable. I think it was in "How the Scots Invented the Modern World".

Donna B. said...

I'd like to add to my above comment that reading that made an impression on me because of something I experienced years ago -- I was typesetter, proofreader, and layout assistant at a local newspaper in the early 70s. I attended a school board meeting with my mother and little sister because of... something I don't remember clearly. What I do remember is setting the type for the paper's column on the meeting and going to the editor of the paper saying "This isn't what happened last night" and his reply of "it's what we're saying happened".

Since then, I've never quite believed anything I read in a newspaper or see on TV news. OR, read in a blog.