Monday, June 15, 2020

Abraham and Lazarus

Luke 16: 27-31
27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

I always thought that the reference in verse 31 was obvious, that Jesus is talking about himself, and that even when he rises from the dead there will be many who do not believe.  I have discovered that many people think this a surprising insight on my part when I say it.

1 comment:

G. Poulin said...

Not convinced that Jesus is talking about himself, though it is certainly possible. Reason being that there are no real parallels between Lazarus and Jesus in the parable. Lazarus' role in the story is simply to serve as a contrast to Dives. He doesn't do anything that would make me think that he is representing Jesus. Including rising from the dead.