Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Time, Public Time

Irritations and disputes can be an occasion for reflection.

I have a very different view of public time, when others are depending on me, versus my time, when no one is particularly. Public time is brisk, efficient, and on time. We haven't the right to hold others up, we owe them our best, an unnecessary four seconds apiece wasted is nearly seven minutes for a hundred people... Look alive. Nip about. It works very well on an acute psychiatric unit. Keep things moving. Get them off your desk.

On my time, I take my time. This was less true ten years ago, when I tried to play with the same brisk accomplishment that I worked. I don't see the point now. If there's no hurry, there's no hurry. The light turning yellow is no problem. Even getting lost is only a small problem. Noise might be a problem. Others' hurrying might be a problem. But time is not a problem. Time becomes a warm surrounding bath, not a timed shower.

"Don't Bustle me," said Eeyore, getting up slowly.

I was home sick today, and eventually got the things accomplished I wanted to. It was quite lovely, really. No hurrying. Tomorrow it is schedules again, place to place until 9pm or later. Today the phone ringing was a profound interruption and irritation. Tomorrow I will be the one calling, interrupting others.

No comments: