Monday, December 18, 2023

Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus

Hyfrydol (Hav-ra-doll) is one of my favorite tunes.  It's Welsh, and we also have "Guide Me Oh Thou Great Redeemer*" (Cwm Rhondda (Koom Rondah, with the "dd" almost swallowed) to thank them for, putting them near the top of the hymnody heap with very few entries. 

We will be singing this at all three Christmas Eve services.  It's music like this that gets me to put up with all the things about choir I find irritating.

Notice that this is basically just the hymn sung, then an anthem with some trickier bits in the middle, followed by the basic hymn again, belted out lustily. The congregation joins in, which always enchants me, and it has a descant, which also enchants me, so my last lead-in of Advent into Christmas is going to be aided well by the music, which is its proper function in church.

*Another great version here, with Bryn Terfel.

No comments: