Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Almosts

I decided not to bring these two from April 2006 forward for reposting, but they may have some interest. 

What I Did On My Liberal Vacation was AVI learning to navigate about the blog universe (which we used to call the blogosphere, remember?) You might take some mild amusement about my naivete, but I think there is also some value as an historical document. CS Lewis talked about Chronological Snobbery in his essay "On the Reading of Old Books," noting that other ages sometimes did not rise to the level of disagreeing with us, because they were focused on other things, which we no longer much talk about.  For example, who talks about the UN now? So even in less than two decades...

I did find some types of comments which would become typical of me, such as "They do not so much believe the MSM as depend on it."

The Gospel of Judas, or Let's Try Very Hard Not to Be Silly, Shall We?  is an idea I have returned to, my frustration with people thinking they have come up with some clever new criticism you haven't thought of yet. Sigh.

3 comments:

Douglas2 said...

Motive Reading by Magical Means needs an M-word to replace Reading

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I didn't even notice the alliteration. You are absolutely right, though.

Christopher B said...

Don't know if you visit Instapundit much any more but there was post and link yesterday to an article about how liberals are still concerned about the decline of media, now it's failing new media outlets.

Item #4 reminds me of one of Conquest's (IIRC) laws .. everyone is conservative about the thing they know best.

Despite some upheaval I think the vast majority of people's views of the two parties are mostly nostalgia for the 1980s, the apogee of both parties. The Democrats dominated in Congress, holding nearly 300 seats at the beginning of the decade and rarely less than 250, and the GOP dominated Presidential politics, holding the office for twelve years. It's interesting how rapidly both fell from there with the GOP gaining control of the House in 1994, and W barely able to muster a popular vote majority in 2000.