Saturday, October 07, 2023

Fake ID

When I was in late high school, to have a Fake ID was True Wealth. I got my NH driver's license at 16.5 and hit upon the stratagem of claiming to have lost it at 17. I thin I paid for a whole new four years, but very carefully doctored the old one so that the 1953 became a 1950. It didn't matter much at college, where older students were willing to buy you whatever you wanted, but it was great for coming back at Christmas or over the summer. Wear your college's shirt and you're in.

My wife does not recall ever having a cardboard license in Massachusetts, but she was not interested in fake ID's so I don't credit her memory on this anyway.

What happened in your states?  And if you were in NH at that time, I'd really like to know your memory.

3 comments:

Grim said...

When I was a teenager in Atlanta, there was a place you could get them printed in the state of your choice. They were just a little smaller than the real ones, which apparently allowed the place to claim to police that they were ‘novelties’ rather than counterfeit documents. If you put them in the window of a wallet they looked fine. I had one from Texas.

HMS Defiant said...

When I was in college I took a job at an air force marina which required us to get government drivers licenses. We took the test, drove the truck and stood in front of a typist at the base pass office and she asked us for our information including birth dates. We all added a couple or more years to our ages and had perfectly valid IDs for barhopping for the next 3 years.

james said...

For most of high school there weren't any effective restrictions on age and alcohol; if you had money you could get beer or palm wine without any problem. OTOH, getting around wasn't trivial--you needed an adult or a taxi. With no budget, not a great deal of peer pressure, no particular interest (still none--beer doesn't smell or taste good), and strong social pressure against it (missionary culture), I didn't bother. The senior party at the embassy had champagne, fwiw.