Friday, June 28, 2013

Cowslip's Warren

The lessons of Cowslip's Warren, encountered by Hazel and the other evacuees from Sandleford on their way to Watership Down, remains one of episodes of that adventure I return to most often.
"I always think these traditional stories retain a lot of charm," said another of the rabbits, "especially when they're told in the real, old-fashioned spirit."

"Yes," said Strawberry, "Conviction, that's what it needs. You really have to believe in El-ahrairah and Prince Rainbow, don't you? Then all the rest follows."
I think of that when I see secular audiences so excited about gospel music. I wonder if they are getting the message or just looking at specimens. I strongly suspect the latter.  Not just the judges, but the audience as well. Do they hear praise, or just that old, authentic style?

I worry that for the singers as well.  It's so easy to lose one's way.

3 comments:

james said...

Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice.

Sam L. said...

That's what Simon Cowell does, I hear.

Don't watch him; don't know.

RonF said...

But then, what's a secular audience? Do you think none of those people go to church?