Wednesday, April 05, 2023

They Are All Good Dogs

"Don't you miss Merry?" (our wirehaired dachshund who lived to be 19)

"I miss the Merry of the first 16 years, I don't miss the Merry of the last three," and then my usual followup "Life is more genteel without animals." We have no current pets. My wife might get a dog the day after I die, but even she is learning to be happy with other people's dogs instead. Hello sweetie dog! Yet even I have some appreciation of them.  

Especially online.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Load chicagoboyz.net and just for an instant, there a dog. ;)

ErisGuy said...

“I don’t miss the last three.”

I hear ya. Our thirteen -year-old pug broke his elbow. Five months in a wrap. He’s nearly blind. He’s nearly deaf. His elbow recovered enough for him to limp. Now he has to be lifted to be with his owners on the couch or the bed. He has a whine that means he’s hungry. He’s thirsty. He needs to go out. He’s lonely. And yet with all that’s, he’s very happy and we can’t bear to put him down.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It does teach us to be better humans. I've had enough self-improvement, thanks.

GraniteDad said...

“I’ve had enough self-improvement, thanks.”

The jokes just wrote themselves on this one, don’t they?

james said...

Our wives teach us to be better humans too. Presumably, by symmetry ... No, that's a lot to claim; I should be silent.