Sunday, April 09, 2023

Hoofbeats

 "Boomtown" was the song most people remembered from the show.

The coastal New England accents here, starting right away with the first guy, are just tremendous.  If you want to learn the accent, start with them.  Some of people in the video are locally famous as well, and of course there's Leno and Wright.

But I liked "Hoofbeats" better.  It was a little darker.



When I moved to Sudbury, people took care to point out where his house was. Rex Trailer was a big deal, even if you were a suburban hippie and "too old for that stuff" in 1971. He came from Ft Worth and was an actual cowboy, not just a show cowboy, and ended up in Massachusetts pretty much by accident.

6 comments:

james said...

Interesting man. "It was a little darker." Not darkness exactly: Welcome is good, but we want the stories of danger and adventure.

Aggie said...

Memories of this one. His daughter was in my class at LSRH.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

You may remember that we moved there just as I graduated HS, so I knew no one, even though it was technically my legal address 1971-75 and my parents were there until I think 1994. I had brothers in the classes of 1974 and 1979, and a girlfriend in the class of 1972.

Michael said...

I have a vague recollection of going with the family to Wilmington in the early 60's to see a Rex Trailer performance. I did watch the program occasionally. But one of the highlights of my young life was actually being on camera for a short segment of Big Brother/Bob Emery and I put a dime in the Jimmy Fund bank he passed around. I was 5 y.o.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ Michael - "So long, small fry, it's time to say goodbye. Be back, again, tomorrow noon and then; We'll have some fun, there's fun for everyone. So don't forget we have a date; Tomorrow night and (something -ate); Small Fry...(something, something.)" Lyrics help, please.

That is a classic coastal New England 1960s memory. Jimmy Fund banks! I remember Bob Emery's daily toast to the president of the United States, said quite grandly, and then "Hail to the Chief" played while we saluted a picture of Eisenhower with out glasses of milk. I remember my shock when the picture changed to some new guy, and then recognised it was this Kennedy name I had heard of somewhere. It seemed wrong. That's NOT what presidents are supposed to look like. My wife's family, with a father who was very much a Massachusetts Democrat, was likely more aware of who JFK was. (Though her mother tried to hide her husband's Irish ancestry. Her own son didn't know until he was like, 30.)

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Granite Dad's godmother writes in that one of the missing lines is "don't be late," which makes sense.