Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Wilt The Stilt

In the Bill Russell biography, I recall that Bill's eulogy for Wilt included something like "He wanted to be the greatest basketball player of all time, and I wanted to be the greatest champion.  We both got what we wanted." I can't find the exact quote now, but the sentiment is pretty understandable in any wording. 

Still the GOAT, and I say that as a Celtics fan.  He said angrily to Michael Jordan in the 90s "They changed the rules to make it harder for me.  They changed the rules to make it easier for you.  Who's the greatest?"

I still have him on my Mars team, no matter who has come along since. 

Nicknames like "The Stilt" come across as pretty lame these days, but so do ones such as "Death to Flying Things" and "The Galloping Ghost" from other sports and eras. Someday CP3 and Matty Ice will seem similarly ridiculous.

No comments: