Thursday, March 16, 2023

Slush

It ended up being 16" of slush, the most I've ever seen of that. The hardware stores have now sold out of shearing pins for the snowblowers.  I got the 2nd-to-last set. And you mostly just give up because the machine won't clear it more than a few inches to the side anyway, and you spend all your time clearing the chute. (And you'd better.  You don't want that freezing solid in there.)

When you downsize your house after retirement, most people think of less space and less to clean and repair.  But less driveway and less lawn is what I am all about at this point. This would have been a nightmare at the house we left three years ago. I imagine it was a nightmare for the single mom who bought the place. She has a sixth-grade son, but I've had five of those, and they ain't as much help as you'd hope. By the time they are driving themselves they suddenly acquire improved ability to clear snow.

To be fair, that does tend to match their improved musculature at that age.

8 comments:

Aggie said...

Did you wax up your chute and housing?

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Never heard of it. Great idea. What do you use? Never mind, I'll look it up and go down the rabbit hole of preferred waxing techniques.

james said...

"Top Ten Waxes For Your Snowblower"

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Heheh. Yup.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-non-stick-spray-for-snow-blowers/

Anonymous said...

My Subaru Solterra is so good, that in snow up the top of the 20" wheels, I just brush the snow off the car and drive away. I have a very capable 4x4, my 87 Suzuki Samurai and it is very good indeed. However in anyplace I don't need the extra clearance, my Solterra is better. All electric and each wheel is controlled, so it just goes anywhere you point it.

I don't need my drive cleared. ;)

Aggie said...

Way back when I was doing this to earn some bucks (70s) I used to use Johnson paste wax. Don't know if the silicon sprays are better, but they are certainly easier.

J said...

Central upstate NY....Applied silicon spray. Shoot and auger iced up. Broke shear pins on both.
But it's my neighbor's machine, and it beats shoveling on my 70+ back!

Assistant Village Idiot said...

So not magic, then, however much it helps.