Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Do Your Own Translation

 


I didn't see this in Gothenburg SE or even points north, but perhaps that isn't surprising. Kvikk Lunsj might be that Norway-specific. It is made by the Norski company Freia, named after the goddess who owned the necklace Brisingamen, a name familiar to early readers of fantasy when there just wasn't much out there. My professor of Anglo-Saxon mentioned it to us. I loved Weirdstone on first reading, but not as well the second time, when it seemed to me to have too many things poured into the plot.  Good things, though, and parts of it still come back to me. It had a strange power.

The Norski kit-kat seems to hold a strange power over them.

7 comments:

Douglas2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
james said...

I didn't read that one: Elidor and the Owl Service, yes. I haven't gone back to them, but I liked them at the time.

Douglas2 said...

fjellvettreglene

"In the day ye eat of this chocolate biscuit, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing the inside knowledge of the mountain wilderness"

james said...

On the "It sounds like English" principle, I guess it means "Quick Lunch"

Hansomhar said...

As your resident Norwegian lurker I can confirm that James is correct. The name is a bit of a misnomer as it's used more of a snack for skiing or hiking trips.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Thank you. When I visited my son in Tromso a few years ago I don't recall seeing this - but we weren't skiing or hiking, either.

Douglas2 said...

In the early 90's I had an east German friend with whom I did lots of hiking and backpacking.

He would get very upset if he could not purchase Ritter Sport chocolate bars before our expedition, and indeed would travel great distances across the city in search of them in the days before. No other snack would suffice.

Then, precisely 1.5 hours after the moment of our entering the forest, we HAD to stop and each eat a Ritter Sport. It would not be proper if we did not.

I still think of those good times whenever I see that brand of chocolate bar.