Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Oxford Webcams

The oldest webcam in Oxford (dates from the 1400s, I'm sure) shows Central Oxford and St Giles Sreet. 

The Broad Street webcam has several colleges within a literal stone's throw from here, depending on the thrower and the stone.  The Bodleian Library is just off camera to the left; Blackwell's Bookstore, where Tolkien kept running up a tab which he paid off in literary works, such as his commentary on The Pearl is just around the corner of Broad Street going out the top. The site has the advantage of connecting you to many other webcams in Europe. They can suck you in.  There are people who have the famous Abbey Road crossing up as a permanent tab on their browser. I did not link to it because you are my friends and I want you to have lives.

1 comment:

Douglas2 said...

I've long thought that it might be a good idea to have a local webcam up when I'm working in windowless indoor spaces. I just can't find one local enough that is consistently operational and has a view I'd want to display.

I did one day get curious about the location of a particular ship, and had the Saguenay ship terminal webcam up to see its arrival there and departure. Quite beautiful.