Tuesday, February 14, 2023

It Can't Last

The Boston Celtics have all five starters out tonight due to injury or illness. I'm sure someone will come up with the statistic of the last time that happened in the NBA, but it can't be often. Yet they are beating the second-best* team, the Milwaukee Bucks, somehow anyway.  If only they could keep focus and not throw away games they should win. Yet they seem to be the best even without it. First-year coach Joe Mazzulla, who got thrown in just before the season started after the Ime Udoka scandal seems to be doing pretty well.

I figure Milwaukee will eventually reassert itself tonight and the Celts will lose, but I'm tickled just to see them leading at all in such a situation.

My following of all sports is now intermittent, basically waiting until about the halfway point to check in on the local lads, but I actually have payed attention to the Celtics straight through since my son talked me into it last year, accurately predicting that that .500 team was about to blossom.  And it did. Heck, I even know some things about other teams in the league now, listening to (W&M guy) Zach Lowe's podcast.

*If you favor Denver (or now Phoenix) for that honor I won't quibble. Some other teams are worth a mention.

UPDATE: It almost lasted.  Went to overtime.

No comments: