Friday, February 03, 2023

Culture Transplant Revisited

Two months ago I blogged about Garett Jones's book The Culture Transplant: How Migrants Make the Economies They Move to a Lot Like the Ones They Left. Rob Henderson links to a review by Scott Sumner at Econolog that calls a fair bit of it into question, eventually concluding that it might be true but is definitely overstated.  "True, but overstated" seems to have been our lot for the last few years and even decade, I think. We are selling our ideas too hard. I had liked the concept of Jones's book, but I like this corrective better.


3 comments:

David Foster said...

We're currently reading The Culture Transplant in my online book group, and it will be worthwhile to read the reviews & critiques as well. Also, Garrett Jones is on Twitter, and we may be able to interact with him w/comments and questions.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Your book group also read The Dawn of Everything, I recall. They play at at least the AA level of pro baseball, don't they? I suppose you can go higher online than at your local library.

David Foster said...

Group was started by a woman I knew in college and her husband, added a few people we knew online or IRL. We're all in different places, so could only work online.