Monday, January 16, 2023

With Trepidation

I am not particularly good with poetry in general. We try to extract single lines or couplets as metaphorical summaries of an idea, but that is not what the form is trying to accomplish. The entirety matters with a poem.  Or so I have been told.  I wouldn't know myself. So I am cautious about being dismissive of a poet.  I might be only revealing my ignorance.

I also have a deep suspicion of men my age actively trying to look like Tom Bombadil, even if they are English. I need not elaborate.

Thirdly, I think the concept of "bruised evangelicals" is about 50-50. I have known people legitimately mistreated by evangelical churches or evangelical attitudes, and fundamentalists even more so.  And yet... sometimes a very few minutes in I find myself thinking "you would have also thought yourself mistreated by Episcopalians, or Catholics, or United Brethren, or Two-Seed-In-The-Spirit Baptists."

So with all that said, this guy's poetry does come recommended by a sensible person. So have an adventure, Nemo. James gives this link to his stuff.

4 comments:

DCC Men's Saturday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
james said...


I suppose if he were trying to be Bombadil instead of Hagrid he'd dye his hair brown...

Do you want to add the link? https://malcolmguite.wordpress.com/blog/ Most of the entries are from other people--at least on the first page.

He certainly writes more cleanly than I do.

Grim said...

I mean, if he were wearing yellow boots….

Nice bike though.

Korora said...

Speaking of Bombadil, would he be able to banish Amazon Studios from Arda the way he banished the Barrow-Wight?