Monday, December 12, 2022

Reunion After Death

In A Grief Observed, CS Lewis described a brief encounter of a presence of "H" (Helen Joy) shortly after her death. The second paragraph in particular caught my eye.

Not at all like a rapturous reunion of lovers.  Much more like getting a telephone call or a wire from her about some practical arrangement. Not that there was any "message" - just intelligence and attention. No sense of joy or sorrow. No love even, in our ordinary sense. No un-love. I had never in any mood  imagined the dead as being so, well so business-like. Yet there was an extreme and cheerful intimacy. An intimacy that had not passed through the senses or the emotions at all.

If this was a throw-up from my unconscious, then my unconscious must be a far more interesting region than the depth psychologists have led me to expect.  For one thing, it is apparently much less primitive than my consciousness.

No comments: