Saturday, December 24, 2022

Gets Your Attention

My weather site has an article that Buffalo's upcoming lake-effect storm may be its worst ever. I blinked a few times before clicking on it, imagining what hellscape of snow that would mean. Every few years they get amounts of snow that are frankly unimaginable to me, even with the videos that people upload to illustrate it. I have seen large amounts of snow in NH, beyond what anyone would consider manageable, but what happens to them dwarfs that. 4-6 feet of snow and near hurricane force winds.

Nasty here in a different way, as unseasonably warm driving rain yesterday turned rapidly to eight degree temperature this morning, and the roads look treacherous even from here. Lots of transformers out. For my son in Nome, the wind-chill won't get above zero, but I have less sympathy for him than when he first moved there (because he needed a job and they pay very well on the frontier).  Move your wife and three little girls out of there, dude. Tromso is below freezing with wind and snow, but if you don't like it, don't move above the Arctic Circle, y'know?  There's a solution to that problem. Houston I have more sympathy, because you really don't expect twenty degrees when you go there. It looks like they will be able to fly out and come here after Christmas, though.

No comments: