Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stop The Presses

I picked the right day to wonder what was up with Nicholas Nassim Taleb, it seems.  He's all over the news.

I have said all year that I am unexcited by the field, but the Republicans have only to notify me who they have nominated in November and I will cast my vote - but that Ron Paul might make me rethink that.  As of Taleb's announcement, at a minimum that qualifier is gone.  The Author of The Black Swan, who is not a libertarian, neither Republican nor Democrat, not especially political and deeply involved in other projects - has "come out of his library" to campaign for Ron Paul. 

He notes four major issues, and Paul is the only one addressing them with the severity needed.  Taleb uses words like metastacised, chemotherapy, and hyperinflation in his little speech.  The deficit, he states, is 90% of the problem.  Then the fed, then militarism rather than defense, then resilience and energy.  He is notably less excited on the Ron Paul difference in those categories, yet he still gives him the edge.  And once you've put out that 90% number, the rest doesn't matter so much, does it?

OK Nassim.  You've got my attention.

3 comments:

Dubbahdee said...

90%.

That's quite a statistic.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I'm wondering if that was just hyperbole off the top of his head, or if that is an actual Round Number of how key he thinks the deficit is.

Sam L. said...

Sure, he's got a point. I don't find it sharp enough for me, though.