Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Open Concept Living

I don't have a strong opinion, except that I don't think I like either extreme.  But this retreat from open-concept living spaces back to having walls again does seem to be a be-careful-what-you-wish-for example.  We have two large rooms in the house, and four smaller ones.  I spend most of my time in one of the smaller ones.  Or out on the screened porch.  The other large room is for recliner naps or my wife's prayer time and bird-viewing out the large window.

Children hate open-space, until they have moved out and are visiting back.  They like to have four walls.

4 comments:

james said...

I'd never heard of "open-concept" before. It sounds like a cubical farm, just with furniture instead of miniature partitions. Or perhaps one of the pioneer houses.

Donna B. said...

I got to read most of the article before the site wanted 99c for me to continue. While I like some parts of the concept, the idea that open spaces let the love flow is downright silly. You know what let's the love flow? Efficiency and adequate closed storage space. And headphones.

james said...

Now that I think of it, the young need to explore, but they also need nests.

Texan99 said...

You guys clearly don't waste enough time watching renovation shows on TV! It's been years since anyone appeared on one of those shows whose wishlist didn't include an open floor plan (and the omnipresent huge kitchen island). Couple agree that entertainment requires good "flow" among every room in the house but the bedrooms. Mothers routinely explain that they need to have the young children under direct visual surveillance at every moment, especially from the kitchen. We enjoy the occasional countertrend episode in which someone suddenly discovers the appeal of an "away space." Also, people detest bathrooms that aren't sufficiently segregated from the master bedroom. Many even want a separate closing door for a toilet closet, a level of privacy demand that would never occur to me. (Nor do I see a need for his-and-hers bathroom sinks, known as double-vanities, so we'll probably never sell this house for a good price.) On the plus side, combining or semi-combining all the public spaces does allow a lot more sunlight and interesting vistas.