Friday, August 14, 2009

Worcester Lunch Car Diners

Backroading around SW New Hampshire - the West Coast of the state in more ways than one - I stopped for lunch at the Mt. Pisgah Diner. Hamburger with mushrooms and bacon, glass of juice, cup of coffee, out for under $7, including tip. The menu stated that the structure is a "Worcester Diner" from the 1930's. I have been to a lot of NH's diners, but I had never noticed such a reference before.

The Worcester Lunch Car Company, now defunct, built about 600 railroad-car shaped diners in the 30's and 40's, scattered all over the country, but mostly in New England. Those who are up on diner history apparently regard these as important historic items.

Images and more info.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hah! Imagine my surprise to find that your Mt. Pisgah Diner link points to one of my cousin's Flickr photos. It truly is a small world.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Did your cousin ever live in Manchester? I knew a David Stall in school. It's not that uncommon a name, though.

Erin said...

I've been by the one on Shrewsbury St. in Worcester, on the now-dubbed "restaurant district". It's quite the hot spot to go, I guess. I think the Boston Fox station does/did Diner Wednesdays in the morning show and go around to various local diners each week.

DKStall said...

Nope, never lived east of Texas. Glad you found my diner photo. Too bad they were closed. Yes, it's a small world Erik!
David Stall