Tuesday, February 27, 2024

We Knew Long Ago

Okay, it's a funny routine.  It really is, because his delivery is so good.  And we are admittedly now applying retrospective knowledge on what we hear.  I think I was uncomfortable when I heard this, thinking "wait, what about her side of this equation," but I may be kidding myself. We tell self-serving lies to ourselves all the time, because that makes it much, much easier to tell them to others. I do know I didn't play this one for my sons. And if I'd had daughters...!! They would look at me strangely for having owned this and not destroying it, and they would be right. I was raised that a gentleman never tells, not even under duress.  Is it different when you are being generic?  Maybe. Possibly.  But I wouldn't want to be the girl, or the family of a girl, who dated Cosby casually when he was young, listening to this even decades later. I would not want to have said this and then go to a reunion.

So it's the first part that's offensive.  He mostly gets off that and tells the story of the high jump.



No comments: