Friday, February 02, 2024

Farm Girls

 I have mentioned before young friends who are farm girls. The previous occasion was when there was a proposed ordinance in their expensive suburb to ban roosters and geese. They spoke before the town selectmen, and the person who had submitted the petition laughed and immediately withdrew it. 

They will be on church retreat with one of my granddaughters this weekend, and their mother submitted the following on her FB page

goodmorning! oh man i’m watching my girls go outside to do their chores before leaving for Winter Blast with their Church Youth group tonight and mustering up the energy to fill in while they are gone
…. Willow feeds grain to all the animals which includes sneaking into the horse pen and giving each horse their individual bowl of food w/o the horse pushing her around to knock the grain scoops out of her hands,(she’s reading over my shoulder and reminded me this includes the bunnies goats and attack geese) and autumn does hay and water, which means if the ground is hard, taking the tractor to lug buckets she filled with water down to the pens and dumping them over the fence, or using a wagon if not(autumn is also reading over my shoulder and she corrected me that if I use a wagon for the buckets of water will fall off, so she just walks with them!), and hauling a bale of hay over the fence twice a day…. and i’m thinking, oh man i’ve gotta do this 4 times for them both while they are away!! 🤣🤣 last winter blast it was -22 and i went out every two hours all night in my pj's petrified their animals would die on my watch!! … i’m thinking I probably AM the only one having this panic this am. I’m also beginning to think I relate more to my great grandparents when their oldest children married off at 14 more than I do to my peers in town today! - not a bad thing, but an interesting realization. well - i like the way my grandparents came out so i guess i’ll keep on this path!
- Just to clarify for those who feel badly that my kids know how to (and enjoy) work…
the animals belong to the kids, they asked for them they paid for (most of) them they decided they wanted them AND the responsibility that goes with it. I’m fully supportive if they decide to get out of farming, and i’ve backed them up with all my favorite furry friends they’ve rehomed over the yrs, but they keep assuring me that they enjoy this life style, so i’m
happy to support their aspirations and work mornings and weekends in the hair salon to fund their farm with the hay, feed, vet bills and garden supplies and seeds they need to make it possible! (I call it working to cover my view tax- cuz i get to look out the window and not only enjoy the farm, but the cute kids running it!!)

Autumn and Willow are 13 and 11. Willow looks like she weighs about 11 lbs, frankly. They are also musicians. 

Their father runs the technologically amazing Events United, which is now nationwide.


No comments: