Monday, January 22, 2024

Chesterton the Poet

Chesterton died in 1936 at the age of 62. CS Lewis, Dorothy Sayers, TS Eliot, and JRR Tolkien all wrote about the event and the man. Only Sayers knew him out of that group, as she was a founding member with him of The Detection Club in the late 20s. I have read that each of them mentioned his desire to be remembered primarily as a poet, though I can't find a reference for any of them. All of them loved The Ballad of the White Horse in particular. (Also a favorite of Grim's BTW)

Yet GKC was not remembered primarily for his poetry. He is remembered as an apologist, a mystery writer, an essayist, and biographer. Lewis wished at first to be a poet, and one could at least half-heartedly make the same claim about Tolkien, who keeps trying to be a poet of many sorts in LOTR. I have to wonder if the sincere attempt at being a poet is one of the best trainings for being any other type of writer, even if the poetry doesn't quite work.

With that in mind I give you the choice of Dale Ahlquist, founder and president of the American Chesterton Society, for his favorite Chesterton poem. It brings tears to my eyes.

The Donkey

When fishes flew and forests walked
   And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
   Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
   And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
   On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
   Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
   I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
   One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
   And palms before my feet.