Friday, January 19, 2024

A Rising Tide Lifts All Opinions

Neuroticism decreases as we age.  Stated the other way, our sense of emotional stability increases as we get older. Fewer things bother us. We give a rat's ass about less and less stuff.  Put it however you want to, we calm down.

This reverses slowly in the 8th decade, strongly correlated with physical health. Because of this, the fit cheerful people insist that you, too, could be more cheerful if you would just get more fit.  There isn't actually any evidence for this when you put it that way. It looks like a mere correlation, that if anything flows in the opposite direction.  Cheerful people stay more fit, but getting more fit doesn't seem to make you more cheerful.  Being more cheerful seems to help you go do stuff, which often has the effect of becoming more fit. It's like saying "Getting married makes you more handsome." No, that works in the other direction. (Though there is the odd intrasexual competition thing that women signal to each other which males are more worthy, so if some other woman has given the guy a passing grade and married him, he becomes more attractive to the pack. Also true for males, but much less so. A slight counterflow to the principle I just described.)

I am going to guess that something this interactive is going to turn out to be more complicated than how I just put it. But in discussing isolation , there is clear evidence - hardly shocking, really - that when we have fewer nice, cheerful people available to us, we are less happy. 

Though that's not what I came to talk about. Because we are all moving in the direction of improved mood anyway - your 50s will likely be your happiest decade and your 60s your second-happiest - it gives us the impression that "when all is said and done, I made mostly right choices."  People who married feel vindicated because they feel emotionally better at 55 than at 25. But people who did not marry are also quite sure they made the right choice. See, all those people who said I'd be happier if I married, they were wrong, weren't they?  It might work for them but... As women especially are defensive about the married/not married question, they are particularly likely to mention that they believe they chose correctly.  Those who married late, that was the right decision; those who married early will sometimes have a qualifier I used to regret getting married so young, but now my children are all grown and I have all this feedom while I still have my health and energy.  Having children, same thing. People tend to be glad they did what they did, and point to their improved mood - which was likely to happen anyway - as proof. 

There is consistent research that shows that married people are happier, and I would love to tell you that this means you should try hard to get married, but there are some cautions with statistics like that.  It may be that happier people are more likely to marry, after all. We don't say that wet streets cause rain. Also, you may remember that I have suspicions of all happiness research right out of the gate. We can find some objective measurements of groups, like suicide rates, drug addiction, number of friends, and the like, but a lot of it is always going to come down to "On a scale of one to five, with one being not happy at all..." And people see through what is being asked with the other questions. They asked a lot of questions about religion.  I don't want to make it look like my religion is wrong by saying I'm not happy. Or the opposite, that you suspect they are trying to show that you, Mr. Atheist, are miserable. Hahaha, I see through their little game.

5 comments:

james said...

It's better to obey God from the get-go, but absent that edenic state, if we let God work out good in whatever we actually did choose back then, it would seem that our choice was, in the end, good.

Grim said...

Theologically that's a very good answer, James. Every created thing is good, but trouble and harm come through sin (per Augustine). So whatever you choose is good, if you can (as you say) "let God work out the good in whatever we actually did choose."

I'm not sure about that doctrine, but it's old and well-defended by many centuries of thinkers and saints.

Now I want to read your post, AVI, together with the one I wrote a few days ago in response to something David Foster wrote. It seems like they are accidentally in dialogue. I'll think about that.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I am still trying to harness two related topics that keep slipping away, Isolation and Asperger's. In another form, like a book or a magazine article, or a lecture, I would spend much more time putting all things in order, especially for something not urgent. Anywhere from a month to a year. But blogging is more of an off-the-cuff medium, because it does exist in dialogue, far more than those others. I always thought McLuhan ws just being a difficult showoff with his "medium is the message," but I have been more and more impressed with it as I write more.

Lewis also wrote that some messages cry out for a particular form - a sonnet, a fairy-story, a sermon.

I suppose that is just a lengthy apology for incompleteness and some wandering about.

Tom Bridgeland said...

...Neuroticism decreases as we age. Stated the other way, our sense of emotional stability increases as we get older. Fewer things bother us...

Is this literally true? Measurably? Because it sure doesn't seem that way. I work in a hospital, RN, and it sure seems like the crazy only increases as time goes on. Or, perhaps you mean only neuroticism, clinically defined, and not other sorts of crazy?

But your last statement 'fewer things bother us' doesn't ring true from my observations. People seem to get increasingly particular as they age, needing everything just exactly so.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

There is a crossover, starting in the eighth decade, of things going back the other way. I forget the years mentioned but that it was a older than I - but not much. I believe this was from Brent Roberts of UIllinois, on Razib's podcast.

I recall years ago reading a happiness survey (I know, I know) that our happiest years were in our fifties, followed by our sixties. I turn 71 in a couple of months and the pattern is holding pretty true for me.