Thursday, April 02, 2020

Underlying Conditions

I wonder what is meant by that, and why it keeps coming up.  I have underlying conditions, including having smoked from age 16-56, with a some interruptions of a few or many months here and there. So if I get a serious respiratory virus, it's going to be bad news, even a decade later.

Yet I am thinking of friends my age, and most of them have something that could be considered an underlying condition. Even a fair number of my younger friends have something. Who doesn't have a comorbidity of some sort at age 70?

I have two friends positive for C19 at the moment, one older, one younger. Even in NH, which is doing very well at present, the disease comes and finds you.

2 comments:

james said...

"Underlying condition" is extremely vague, isn't it? How serious does something have to be before it has any bearing? Pretty nearly everybody past their youth has something wrong somewhere.

A family member and friend have it--they're young, w/o much in the way of pre-existing conditions, but it looks like it may be several more weeks before they're back to normal. Rough stuff.

Donna B. said...

I have a plethora of those underlying conditions. I've been away from my house 3 times since Mar 12 and each time took precautions. This isn't because I'm afraid of being sick or dying, but because my offspring and their offspring worry about me. For some reason they like me and want me to hang around for a few more years.

While I've already lived longer than two of my grandparents, I need to live 30 years more to beat the other two - one maternal and one paternal.

A son-in-law brought me an N95 mask tonight. He told me he had to hunt for them, but was sure that he had some packed away from a job way back when. He apologized that the elastic might be shot.