Sunday, April 19, 2020

Aloha Shirts

I still have a half-dozen, though I have worn out another half-dozen over the last two decades. I got given one for Christmas by the son and daughter-in-law who went through Hawaii on their way to the Philippines. I had heard they are making a comeback, and this History of the Aloha Shirt confirms it.
This one sell for 188 bucks at Kahala, which I understand is the original brand. I won't be getting that one, even if it is a retro classic and has actual hula girls.

1 comment:

RichardJohnson said...

Comeback? As far as I can tell, they have always been around. Maybe in cold NH, they aren't common, but in subtropical Teas, they have always been around. Over the years I have purchased a number, and "Hawaiian shirts" at Amazon gives an ample selection. If one prefers paying $180 for a vintage specimen,go right ahead. Amazon for $20 is much cheaper- if one can stomach doing business with the owner of the Washington Post.

Comeback/ not around as much: corduroy pants aren't as plentiful and thus not as cheap,as they used to be. They are certainly not as available in discount retail as they used to be.