Saturday, April 18, 2020

Courage


I sympathise with people feeling stir-crazy and wanting to get out and do something. Plus, getting out and moving around feels healthy and refreshing. Unfortunately, those are both feelings, and are entirely irrelevant to what is actually safe. There is also irritation at being told what to do, especially by governments or local buttinskis, even when they are correct.  The irritation increases (uh, maybe exponentially), when they are just plain wrong, forbidding people from going fishing in their own boat or playing tee-ball with their own family in a park. We begin assigning terrible motives to them, beyond mere nervousness and foolishness. These are also just feelings and entirely irrelevant to what is actually safe.

The irritation was predictable from the start, and I did predict it, but I overlooked an important aspect.  I projected that people would increasingly find excuses and rationalisations to make unnecessary trips or break social distancing, because that is my style.  I did not foresee that people would actually try to make a virtue of unsafe behaviors by calling them courage. They aren’t courage. They feel like courage in the same way that teenagers feel they are being courageous when they drive too fast and stay out late.  There is something like courage involved, in that you prove that you aren’t one of those timid people who doesn’t dare anything.  But mostly, you’re just doing it because it feels good, and shouldn’t kid yourself. I’m detecting a bit of attitude about this with people, both male and female though in different styles.

As a good counterexample, let us look at the recent behavior of our friend Grim.  He was antsy at being cooped up, so he went out for an extended ride on his motorcycle. The risk was entirely on himself, he didn’t bring added risk to anyone else. (Okay, maybe he did if he drove too fast, but I’m not inquiring into that and am sticking to the simplest form of the example.) Acts of civil disobedience, when you go fishing in your own boat (though you should not conveniently overlook contact and distancing at boat ramps) are also fine in my book.  If something is objectively safe – not just mostly safe if you squint really hard – and you want to run the social or legal risk of torquing people off, then go with my blessing.  I feel the same about political protest against government officials who are overreaching because…well, it doesn’t matter what their reason is. Insofar as they are declaring things a public hazard that aren’t a public hazard, I don’t much care if that’s because of stupidity, hand-wringing, or power grab. We think at first that the last of those is the most dangerous, but I’m not so sure.

But something else is increasingly creeping into this, and I don’t think it is justified. I also hear laxity increasingly excused by people who don’t engage in it themselves but don’t want to be seen as interfering with others.  Many of us have a horror of interfering with others which sometimes outweighs our willingness to assess situations dispassionately. I have a friend making noises about how he doesn’t put up with all this nonsense about masks, and I know it isn’t because he has done a thorough study of the relative safety of masking. I don’t want to say anything, but I may have to.  Being safe ourselves but shrugging at others because, well, a lot of people are high-spirited, and they aren’t going to put up with this forever, and governments have to understand…it’s fine if they want to take increased risks when it is only their increased risk. But that’s the same excuse we used with teenaged boys getting drunk, driving fast, and playing rough with girls until quite recently – still a common excuse in some circles.  They’re just high-spirited, you see, and what are you going to do?  It doesn’t get any prettier when we make dark warnings about what adults are going to do because they don’t like being in quarantine. That’s just a way of quietly excusing it. (You will notice that liberals use these dark warnings a lot about what black people and the poor are going to do if conservatives keep doing this or that.  It’s a way of quietly threatening and excusing it. [It’s also racist and condescending.] Gandhi did that with the British as well.)

There is considerable justification for the secondary point of pushing back against interference via protest or civil disobedience, as I suggested above, simply for its own sake. It’s good to fire a warning shot across the bow of the officious. I have no objection there, either, and that is not what I am talking about.  Yet I see the irritation as deeply affecting how people evaluate the information they are receiving.  They become predisposed to seeing this as no big deal, holding aloft every bit of information that supports that POV and discarding every bit that goes against it. Sometimes it’s just guys not wanting to look unmanly (to themselves or others) by being overcautious, nervous Nellies.  I have railed for decades against liberals, especially NPR and the Washington Post, arguing from anecdote, and now I am seeing lots of conservatives doing exactly that.  I will caution again that the people at the most risk who have the least ill motivation are the medical professionals who are directly involved. And they aren’t relenting in discussions of safety from their recommendation that distancing, self-quarantine, and masking are important.

A side point.  The new nickname for interfering, speak-to-the-manager women is “Karens.”  My brief research says it means women 30-60, usually suburban women, who have a particular attitude toward everyone else.  It’s an interesting choice of name because it comes much more from my generation than the one after.  The frequency was greatest for those born 1940-1980, and so women who would be 40-80 now, especially 45-75, so a full fifteen years off from the new stereotype. I knew lots of Karens growing up. The additional piece is that it was very popular among the Lutheran, meaning German and Scandinavian, women I have known across the years.  Thus I find it quietly humorous that the Swedish Lutherans I stem from may be the primary offenders here, leading to that choice of name. I mean, it wasn't the Greeks or Italians for this one.

7 comments:

Texan99 said...

I think we have to be careful about analogies to our responsibility to speak firmly to teenage boys doing things dangerous to themselves and others. That isn't a reliable model for our behavior to our neighbors, or our government to us.

I'm OK with annoying restrictions on freedom when there's no other way to guard an important public safety, especially temporarily. I was fine with many restrictions when it meant protecting the hospital system for all of us. I'm less OK with it if the hospitals are fine and we know the virus has to make the rounds eventually. At that point, it becomes more a matter of personal choices about how much exposure to court.

But I take your point about attributing my attitude to courage. I don't feel courageous about any of this. If I did, I'd be tending people's bedsides somehow. Instead, I'm taking advantage of my freedom to stay home without much inconvenience to myself. If I don't use the boat ramp, it's because I really don't care to be out on the water. I have plenty of room right here for my solitary habits.

I threw caution to the winds today and welcomed a couple of neighbors who needed something notarized. But we stayed on the porch outside and didn't crowd each other.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Tex, I hesitated over the insult of the analogy with teenage boys for the reasons you mention, but I went with it anyway and I'm staying there. The comments at Maggie's, Chicago Boyz, and Instapundit are not universally childish - most who object to the restrictions are quite reasonable in how they put it. Some are even persuasive and set me on my heels. Yet not all. And as for what I overhear locally, at the dump, in line at the PO, or brazenly unmasked and not keeping distance at the grocery and announcing it proudly, it is exactly like teenage boys.

I operate from the old group-process theory that such people are only expressing an opinion that is partially shared by the group as a whole, or they could not express it without more wrath than they receive. Most people don't think that, but some partly think that.

Donna B. said...

Even when I was a rebellious teenager, I didn't see my actions as courageous. I wasn't that thoughtful. I just did what I wanted to do to the extent I thought I could get away with it. I failed in the getting away with it part quite often. Perhaps I don't really understand what being courageous is, because there were a few times I went ahead and did things I knew I'd be caught at and punished for. Was that courage? Or... stupidity and trust that the punishment would be survivable? (I'm sorry Mom and Dad)

Aggie said...

There's a distinction between bravado and courage, although the elements of both mix together in solution.

Grim said...

I appreciate being used as a sort-of good example, though motorcycle-riding is objectively unsafe. If safety were the proper concern of society, government, or the good life, we might well disallow it. I'm inclined to it, obviously, in spite of the fact that I know that it's unsafe.

Safety is a luxury good, because the world isn't safe. The basic point of society, government, and the good life can't be the provision of luxury goods because not everyone can afford them even under the most generous system of redistribution. That's one issue.

But as regards courage, well, courage is a virtue. Virtue might well be the basic point of society, government, or the good life; Aristotle thought so. But virtues require habituation, which means that we must regularly practice them. And if the virtue is courage, we must then regularly encounter dangers -- real ones, not imaginary ones.

A virus in principle can serve as well as a motorcycle ride, but (as you point out) it offers dangers to others and not only ourselves. Still, many who can't afford safety will have little choice but to run the hazards; there is a justice issue in restricting the hazards to the poor who have no choice to do otherwise. The best choice for encountering the hazard isn't the poor, but the strong and in this case the young: those most objectively likely to survive and thus add to our troop immunity (not 'herd,' as usually given; primates like great apes and ourselves are called 'troops' in company).

Courage thus does not seem to me to entail avoiding the virus, not universally. A month ago I might have said otherwise, as there were still so many unknowns. Increasingly, I think we should allow the young and the strong to dare it, if they can keep distance from the vulnerable.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I believe it was Lewis, reflecting on Chesterton, who said that courage is not a virtue in itself, it is the measure of how much we really care about the other virtues. I think that is only partly true.

I take your point, and it is a common one now, that maybe herd immunity will work and we should be sending children back to school and people back to work, taking care to protect the vulnerable. But in NH, at any rate, one-third of all C19 cases are from community spread, with no known travel or contact risks in the profile. We are also learning about other permanent damage acquired, even from those who survive. I don't think we do know the theory is a safe one, not yet.

Safety may not be the point of society and government, and the goal should not be that people have no risk or come to no harm. But preventing people from harming others seems to me one of the core reasons for having a society and rules at all.

Perhaps it is just my hospital training. If you have an infection protocol, you just don't violate it. You just don't. Even when you are aware that your particular action of ducking your head in a patient's door to ask two quick questions is very low risk, you don't do it. People who are familiar with guns are serious about gun safety, even though they know there are all sorts of people who are not being safe but never take any harm. Drunk drivers seldom kill anyone.

If we didn't have vaccines, knowing what we do now about infection control, we might not forbid large gatherings, but I would bet they would be less common. With influenza, we know this is about as good as we can get with the current state of medical prevention, so we accept the risk, largely because we have no choice. Because of our other choices, we have minimised the risk of driving about as much as we can, so we accept it. We take medicines that have side effects. To me that is different than taken unknown risks. C19 is no longer a fully unknown risk. WE know that contact with people who have been abroad, especially a few countries, is much higher risk, and contact with known carriers is much higher risk. We know that population density and lots of close contact with people, as in a subway or at Mardi Gras, is very bad, but reducing contact (in multiple ways) seems to help a great deal. Is that enough information to move back to our previous lives? I think it is, though tentatively and cautiously - which is very, very hard on people psychologically, to say, "okay back to work" and then two weeks later to say "nope, we were wrong, everyone back home again."

Texan99 said...

There's too much all-or-nothing thinking. The best infection protocol for a hospital is to shut it down, but instead we keep it open and do the best we can consistent with allowing it to continue an irreplaceable function. There's a huge range between locking the doors and going back to business as usual. We never were locking the doors of the entire country to begin with. What we're talking about is pushing the door a little more open, carefully.

Re-opening the economy doesn't mean throwing caution to the winds. Even if the government weren't involved at all, consumers would demand a higher level of caution, which they would express by avoiding the businesses that wouldn't comply. For quite a while we're going to have to put up with a lot of inconvenient masks and personal density levels. In Texas the governor is encouraging more businesses to open up but to use, at first, only curbside delivery. He's going to keep an eye on whether the hospitals can continuing handling the load.

I never heard anyone make a credible claim that the lockdown would decrease R0 below 1. We're not going to stamp this thing out like smallpox. It has to spread, the only question is how fast.

Even the best hospitals have to deal with MRSA. They'd like to think they can make every single employee be so careful they'd never see another case, but it doesn't happen that way. They do what they can do, which is hard enough. It slows them down and limits the care they can provide. It's a trade-off. One guy can be the Boy in the Bubble, but we can't all live there forever.