Saturday, January 18, 2020

They'll Let You Know

CS Lewis never took a newspaper and chuckled if something important happened everyone would let you know anyway.  I have only followed the news on impeachment that slipped in while people were writing or talking about something else.  I occasionally listen to Scott Adams.  The link headlines over at Maggie's often include some impeachment news. People email me things. I'm not seeing the point.  We have known for months what everyone's lines are and what will happen.  The issue is how will all this maneuvering play out in the elections, which is just guesswork at this point. All sides think they are playing a killer strategy for 2020.

While looking for something else I saw this link to Andrew McCarthy.  I trust McCarthy.  He is overcautious about falling into any optimism that any of this works in favor of conservatives in general.  He knows the relevant law and the usual practices of agencies. I don't know that he is any good at predicting how well any of the politicising will work, but I don't mind about that.  We'll know soon enough.  So this will be my main understanding of the situation for a bit.  He asks "why" many times.  Then he answers his own questions.

3 comments:

james said...

They generally don't let you know about all matters of interest. Some things are niche news (Liberian news) and some, by unspoken agreement, are not discussed.

But wrt the headlines--yes, the only things that might be of interest are deviations from the script.

Zachriel said...

"People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook." — President Nixon

Assistant Village Idiot said...

The offer still stands, Zach. If you write your own stuff on your own site, I promise to read every word of it for fourteen consecutive days. I may or may not comment.