Friday, July 29, 2011

Smurfs

Ben predicted from the trailer that the movie would be stunningly awful.

Apparently it is.

And yet I can make it worse.

In the 1980's a young woman who worked at my hospital was very open talking about her sex life. Among the patients on the unit at the time were two suicidal gay men. She brought in pictures of herself in a smurf costume having sex with her boyfriend to show to them. She thought it would help them, somehow.

I didn't know they made full-size Smurf costumes in the 80's. Never thought to ask.

She very rapidly no longer worked for the State of NH, BTW. It sounded even weirder 30 years ago.

While I have no direct knowledge, I am guessing that even those who believe in treating and changing sexual orientation don't use this as a first-line intervention. Yet who knows? It is such a wild card that it might have any effect whatsoever.

And see, I just made the Smurf movie worse for you.

4 comments:

Kurt said...

Well, Smurf movie or no Smurf movie, I could have lived without the thought of what must have been in those pictures. Eeek!

wv: pandmo (not quite pandemonium)

Sponge-headed ScienceMan said...

I don't plan on seeing this movie but maybe one redeeming feature of it is Jonathan Winters' role. Here is an NPR story about him including some direct interviews. I was pleased that the piece identifies Winters with the 1963 comedy classic, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/30/138822853/jonathan-winters-reflects-on-a-lifetime-of-laughs

Sam L. said...

I woman I know in the movie cineplex biz said she saw it and liked it enough--took her back to her childhood.

Assistant Village Idiot's wife said...

I skimmed the original post and missed that the woman WORKED at the hospital. I thought she was a patient until I got to the end where you commented that she no longer worked there. Doesn't surprise me that I thought that about one of your co-workers.