Thursday, December 21, 2023

Once in a While

At pub night tonight, engineerlite brought me a Christmas present.  I should have opened it then, but waited until I was the last one leaving. I looked so obviously pleased that our usual waitress asked if I were willing to tell her what it was.  It was a mug, with a picture of Aslan on one side and "Not a tame lion" on the other.

This was an interesting coincidence because earlier in the day we had been discussing Narnia and Aslan with one of the usuals who was not going to make it tonight and a returnee who had never read CS Lewis. "Not a tame lion" had been in the conversation. I asked the waitress if when she was a girl she had ever read any of the Chronicles of Narnia or seen the movie The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe. "Oh I read all seven of them!" she smiled. She was charmed by the mug.  As I was exiting, I circled back to tell her that Lewis had written about eighty books, mostly for adults, and that the Chronicles themselves reread better as an adult than they had as a child. She had never heard he had written other books, but had herself reread Narnia about five years ago. I told her that any public library would have some Lewis books, and she should just try some out.  I did tell her that some might be specifically academic about Medieval Literature and similar topics, so she should browse first if she did not already know about those subjects. She was pleased and is heading over tomorrow to check some out.

Once in a while, God winks and says "I just wanted to remind you that I love you."

1 comment:

ORWoody said...

What a wonderful story.
Thank you for sharing it.