Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Light in Narnia

We are doing an Advent devotion, Advent in Narnia. I usually dislike canned devotions. I believe this is my lack, my judgemental attitude that prevents me. No, actually I just said that to be polite.  I really think it is theirs.  All of them.

Yet I have liked this one tolerably well, perhaps because I am making an effort to fight through my irritation and submit myself to what some other Christian, someone who just might know something worth knowing, is teaching. Last night's devotion included thinking about lights (the lamppost in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was the starting point) as a metaphor for the gospel. It is a very accessible thought, as even quite secular people keep lights central to their decorations every year. Most religions make use of candles as an invitation to the edges of some other world. Other fires are prominent as well.

One of my first dates with Tracy involved her sorority Pledge Dance, at which she wanted to dance, of all things, but I, after a few glasses of wine, found myself staring into a candle thinking Deep Thoughts.  Her friends were concerned about this new boyfriend, to say the least. We stare into the embers of dying fires, or stop thoughtfully at night to watch a fire across the water. We are seeking another world.

Yet it matters what world one is seeking.

1 comment:

G. Poulin said...

I also tend to shy away from scripted devotional exercises. But it's really just a matter of personal taste. I do recognize some value in canned religion --cyclical feasts, standardized liturgies, etc. I think Jesus did too; otherwise he would not have participated in them. It's just that they don't do much for me as an individual. I remember a group of my fellow Catholics being somewhat shocked when I didn't want to participate in some candle ritual. These days I just avoid such occasions altogether rather than make a fuss.