Tuesday, December 19, 2023

I Love the Smell of Neanderthals in the Morning

When I saw that the study was about Neanderthal genes having influence on whether or not you are a morning person, I knew the data was either going to come from an ancestry site or the UK Biobank.  It's the world we live in now.  A little deeper in the report, the evidence that we kept some of the metabolic and immune system genes was something I had heard before, but for some reason I just don't absorb that there were skin and hair influences as well.

2 comments:

james said...

"Researchers found that individuals living at higher latitudes, experiencing more pronounced seasonal variations in light and darkness, tended to exhibit increased "morningness.""
In other words, people who live in lands where the sun sometimes rises late have to find it relatively easy to get started before the sun does. I can guess a certain amount of confounding might be present.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

True, but the people living there already might be relied upon to provide some advantages in mastering that. Genes, alarm clocks, responsiveness to the smell of bacon...