Sunday, May 02, 2010

GPS God

I prefer maps. I find them fun. I have had notable difficulties from relying on maps, but others have had notable difficulties with imperfect GPS technology as well. I'm not here to argue which method is better.

But in matters of faith and obedience, our God seems to be much more a GPS God than a map God. We want to see where we're going, know in advance what to expect, estimate how long it's going to take. Yet God says "Continue on seven-point-five miles." "Turn left in 200 yards."

And when we disobey or otherwise screw up, he says "Recalculating route." I think we can get some free-will/predetermination understanding out of that.

2 comments:

JC said...

Yeah, but try pinning one of them up on your wall. Used to have a large apartment and I did the living room all in those free state maps, which I picked up at the DOT border crossings/hospitality centers. In one year I collected 30, jsut from work.
Looked sharp, too.

akafred said...

But in matters of faith and obedience, our God seems to be much more a GPS God than a map God.

Sorry, but I hasten to disagree. I think God is more likely to plunk us down somewhere on a map (figurative wilderness test)and say, "Who ya gonna call (out to)? It better be me if you want to find your way home."