Thursday, November 30, 2023

Jason and the Argonauts

 "The Ancients" podcast is on my sidebar, but there are hundreds of episodes and no good search function that I can find. Still, just browsing down the list I imagine there will be things that jump out at you that you would like to here.  I keep falling farther and farther behind myself, as they add episodes faster than I listen to them. 

But this one from September 2020 was quite marvelous, an excellent storyteller named Tom Holland telling the Greek myth of Jason and the Argonauts. It is before a live audience and there were children present, and I think the story is accessible to children to about the age of ten. 

"Medea goes to Jason and says 'Darling, I've done it.  I've saved you!' 

"And the time may come...I'm talking to the boys now...The time may come where you find you might have paired up with the wrong girlfriend. And ... Jason has is doubts about the kind of girlfriend who would slice the throat of her younger brother and cut him up into little pieces and drop him into the sea. Seeds of doubt are sown. Seeds of doubt are sown."

Really quite well done, start to finish.  It's an hour long, so you may want to save it for an airplane trip or a long car ride.  But your children will know the story cold after only one hearing, I think, and so will you.


2 comments:

David Christian said...

here ya go:

https://www.listennotes.com/search/?q=Jason%20and%20the%20Argonauts%20the%20ancients&sort_by_date=0&scope=episode&offset=0&language=Any%20language&len_min=0

Fredrick said...

A very enjoyable hour, thank you.