Monday, June 05, 2023

What Colors Are In

I used the phrase in a comment and realised that I have no idea whether that is still a thing in fashion. There are still trends, certainly, as we can see automobiles of similar shades coming out in an era, or can walk into a house and have an idea when it was last decorated. I barely knew when I was in highschool and college - mostly I would only have a dim awareness that something wasn't in.  Just didn't look right, somehow.  But I have an anecdote.

I was speaking with my brother in the early 90s, who had a lighting gig substituting for the guy who ran the light show between periods for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. (Great gig.  Paid well for easy work.  They needed someone there who could fix anything about the lights, sound, or electricity in case anything went wrong, so they had to have a professional. But nothing ever went wrong whenever he filled in.) I thought it was neat that he got to see them during the warmups and talk with them, as he was from NH and could talk hockey, unlike everyone else in southern California. But I still had objections. "I don't like that they picked the trendy colors for the team: black, teal, and magenta.  It's what every parka at Ben's school looks like." 

"Well, it's Disney," he said. "They're going to pick the salable colors."

"But what are they going to do in five years when those colors are out?"

"They'll change the team colors."

I was speechless, my mind reeling. Such a thing would never occur to a person from New England. The Boston Bruins colors are their colors, and all uniforms will always be variations of that. Change the team colors indeed.

4 comments:

Cranberry said...

Well, the color of the year is either magenta:

https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year/2023

Or Raspberry Blush:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color-of-the-year-2023

Each manufacturer has a lineup of coordinating colors, quite handy if you want to decorate anything.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Those are pretty similar, aren't they? I'm guessing that happens often?

Cranberry said...

I only pay attention when I need to buy paint. However, I do notice when there’s a new color for women’s fashion, when women show up wearing new, nice clothes in the exact same shade. It was turquoise recently.

Donna B. said...

Turquoise is a favorite of my younger grandchildren this year too. They regularly outgrow clothes so keep up with color trends easily. Myself? It's been shades of black for years. Sometimes I wear purple or grey.