Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Billy Mills in 1964

I had just started following track and field for some reason, especially distance running. I think I read a long piece about Gerry Lindgren in a sports magazine lying around, and recall Junior Scholastic articles about Bob Hayes, the "World's Fastest Human," and Jim Ryun, first highschooler to run the mile under four minutes.  I didn't recall anything about the 1962 dual meet with the USSR, so it must not have risen to consciousness by then. But I was all in for the 1964 Olympics and can still hear the announcer saying "Schul is going to win it! Schul is winning the 5000 and he's the first American to do it!" Mills in the 10,000 was something I tried to talk about with my friends at camp, but no one was interested.



Also of interest, Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia won the Marathon again, this time wearing shoes.  He was the first of the East African runners from the Great African Rift, who now dominate distance running. People still try to sell the idea that it is that high altitude training, rather than genetics. I don't know how much data it takes for people to give up an idea.

No comments: