Saturday, June 01, 2019

Connecticut

My town's center is confusing, because two numbered routes not only intersect but run together for about half a mile, in the business district, across the only convenient bridge.  At either end of this confluence another high-traffic but unnumbered road feeds in as well. The population isn't high, so it is only messy for about two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. Most people in town have been stuck trying to get in at one of the tough entrances multiple times.  We know what it is like.  There are not good gaps, tempers get just a little ragged. There is a trade-off in being polite, as excessive kindness to one backed-up line can be unkindness to the folks behind you.

I was driving on the through street, and saw a small gap coming the other way, and judged that if I stopped and let someone in, he could just make it in front of me going the opposite way, without frightening or inconveniencing the line behind me. (Technical note for those who know Goffstown:  I was heading for Sully's and let in the first car coming down the hill on Rte 13.)

The car behind that one accelerated quickly, with a squeal,  to jump into that space as well.  I gestured at him.  No, not that gesture, but turned my palm up with a facial expression that said "Really?" looking right at him.  He had Connecticut license plates.  Had he looked sheepish, with an "Okay, that was too much" expression, all would be forgiven.  He would come around. But his expression was utterly dismissive and contemptuous.  If I could have pulled him aside, I would have said "We don't live like that here."  It's not only traffic safety, it is an entire culture I have in mind.

I expect people to assimilate to the culture they move into. I then thought wryly of people from other cultures who move to America.  I have driven in Bucuresti and Transylvania, and I don't want those driving cultures coming here. I have heard terrible things about drivers in many countries as well, described humorously, but still dangerous.  Multiculturalists will roll their eyes and say that is not what they are talking about when they speak about tolerating other cultures.  But really, they are.  They don't know it, because they haven't thought it through, and they are mostly think about food, and seeing people in varieties of costume on the street. They aren't really all that fond of many of the world's cultures. They are fond of kicking the dominant American culture in the balls, however that happens.

When people talk about multiculturalism, think driving habits*, not fun foods, and work outward from there. Maybe violent crime rate. Lack of interest in education. Beating up women. Executing homosexuals. Polygamy.

*Those of you who are gentler than I may find persuasive success in treating this humorously in discussion with people who have illusions about other cultures coming in. I'm going to give that a try the next time it comes up in conversation, but I may not be able to sustain good-naturedness very long.

1 comment:

Texan99 said...

Yet when people point out that Disney has no problem filming in countries that criminalize homosexuality or condone female genital mutilation, it seems to have no effect. I honestly question whether some PC types would have a problem importing those practices into ethnic zoos on American soil, as long as no one tried the practices on them personally.