Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pimm's Cup No. 1

Pimm's just has a Wodehusian sound to it, and I had long thought I must give it a try sometime. Bird Dog over at Maggie's mentioned it two weeks ago, and that put me over the top on trying it at last.

It's a far-less-intense Moxie, really.  I didn't notice that so much when I mixed it with lemonade, but when I switched to ginger ale it was quickly apparent. Those of you who can't get Moxie where you are can have a Pimm's and ginger, and imagine that complex flavor distilled.  It's distant enough that Moxie-haters might still like Pimm's, and Moxie-lovers might think it wan stuff. It has gin in its flavor origins, and perhaps juniper, as opposed to Moxie's gentian root, is what I am tasting.

Wimbledon, cricket, and polo recipes include slices of cucumber, and perhaps mint.  Lemon slices or other fruit can go in, especially if the soda flavoring is light.

Lemon soda is apparently the traditional standard.  A shot of gin can be added - the word "fortified" is the most common.  As the Pimm's is 25% alcohol and is 1/2 or 1/3 to the mixer, the ETOH content is about that of a wine cooler. Hence the gin, I imagine. There are Pimm's 2-6 as well, based on other spirits. 

No comments: