Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rep. Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH)

I received a mailing from my congresswoman asking for my opinion on health care reform. There were about 10 highly slanted questions, designed so that the answer made no difference to what she would vote for, but merely gave you a sermon of what she thought were the main issues. Has anyone in your family ever been denied coverage because of a preexisting condition? There was a teeny space for additional comments.

Revealing slant and perspective are one thing (they all do that) but this is active deceit. Someone had to intentionally design questions that were not questions to give the impression that constituent opinions were being sought.

Large moral questions do not exist independently of the more basic moralities of honesty, reciprocity, and respect. Boring old virtues are not a different, optional morality but the foundation of any morality.

I will not for a moment pretend that Republicans, lobbyists, bloggers, and everyone else has not engaged in slant and even deceit in this matter. But this small matter struck me as notable because it was immoral at its core, not simply deviating as it went along.

4 comments:

Tom Grey said...

I think it would be good to see your opinions of current Rep dishonest slant/ spin, vs. current Dem dishonesty.

I have so much trouble looking at the Dem junk that I don't see most of it.

(first return visit here in many many months; good comments on neo's site)

Gringo said...

Which reminds me of the questionnaire I got 3-4 years ago from the DNC which had only one question on Iraq. It was a multiple choice on when to withdraw from Iraq- the longest time period being 18 mos., IIRC. No choice like "get out after we have won."

The questionnaire also asked for a donation. I gave them zilch: ∅.

I wondered why they sent me the questionnaire, because I had never registered as a Democrat, and the last time I voted for a Democratic Party Presidential candidate was 1976.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Gringo, did you vote in Chicago or Philly? They might continue to track you.

Just in case.

ELC said...

Someone had to intentionally design questions that were not questions to give the impression that constituent opinions were being sought. Someone paid by taxes from those constituents, too.