Monday, February 27, 2006

Did Saddam Have WMD's? An additional fragment

John at Powerline today links to an article at Investors Business Daily, and adds in his own comments about Georges Sada, second in command in Saddam's air force, and his book Saddam's Secrets. There are also the recent tapes of Hussein speaking with cronies -- cronies previously unidentified by the agencies in charge of monitoring Iraq -- about chemical, biological, and even nuclear weapons. The suggestion of these sources is that Saddam had WMD which he moved in late 2002 and early 2003 to Jordan and Syria, with the aid of Russian, ex-Soviet, special teams.

I don't know any more about it than all these folks who study the matter more closely. But I do recall that this is exactly what Ion Mihai Pacepa, the highest ranking defector from behind the Iron Curtain, claimed several years ago. And was mostly ignored. He explained how a "Sarindar" operations might take place. I have a link from Frontpage magazine here, but there were similar articles in the Washington Times and at NRO.

If I had to put money down at this point, I would want this side of the bet.

If I were betting my countrymen's lives, BTW, I would insist on this side of the bet -- at any odds.

No comments: