Monday, April 27, 2020

The Tim Tebow C19 Effect

You remember the Tim Tebow Effect?  It was pushed here for years and also at bsking's statistics site Graph Paper Diaries. It sprang from a Chuck Klosterman comment that
both groups perceive themselves as the oppressed minority who are fighting against dominant public opinion
...which is precisely what we see today.  If you go to some sites, you will see angry comments, and links to lots of people they agree with that everyone, I SAID EVERYONE is ignoring the very obvious truths that this disease is dangerous.  At other sites, you can find equally irritated people who are just sure that the really important information about how economically devastating this is ARE BEING IGNORED. A lot of energy is being expended showing how someone-or-other on the "other" side is just plain wrong.  And the next day, more links how wrong they were.  And the day after that, more wrong.

We are going to reopen.  The questions are all in the territory of how, how soon, and in what order.  Everyone wants it.  Some want it more quickly, with a higher risk profile because they think it all has been shown to be less than advertised.  Others want it more cautiously, because the risks are not as low as critics are claiming, not in the context of previous pandemics. The links mount up. 

You are not a minority whose opinion is not being heard.  Given that, everyone should focus on putting their best persuasive arguments forward, not the complaints of how stupid, or fascist, or immoral those other guys have been. Those who want to reopen quickly go looking for the worst examples of what some other state - that they don't live in - is doing that is completely insane, while those who think the long-term danger is underrated seek for the most stupid placard and quote they can find from the protests.

Not that those accusations are untrue. There have been plenty of stupid, immoral, or fascist arguments put forward.   You're right.  There they are.  Some people actually haven't given Tim Tebow credit for being a stunningly great college player and an equally great pro intangibles leader, while others really haven't noticed that Hillary Clinton is being held to different standards because she's a woman.

I have long liked Arnold Kling, and I really liked his recent essay. It does not advocate a position, it states what he thinks is the best understanding of the data.  I think he does show a leaning in how he presents it - and he may be wrong. Some people are trying very hard to listen.  Talk to them, not the others.

1 comment:

Donna B. said...

I liked that Kling essay too. I've also read several articles that reference blood clots in the lungs that don't respond to ventilator therapy and some that reference strokes due to blood clots in younger folks. Should those findings persevere, it really does underscore the "this is not an ordinary flu" posts. I'm taking my blood thinner, as I would anyway, and hoping that might be a positive for me.

Diabetes I don't have, though I should. I'm obese, have hypertension, heart disease, and I'm getting close to being elderly. (OK, I'm old, but I don't have to admit it!)

Also, my close in proximity family and I are planning a slow emergence from the 'lockdown'. They are going first, of course. I've told my grandchildren to be prepared for the first hug... it might hurt!