Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Popularity

Because I was just thinking about my folksinging "career," such as it was, a lesson that I learned in those years popped up when I read the article about the very excellent women's soccer player from Norway, who is staying out on the national team in protest of the unequal conditions.

When I was in a band, we would listen to people on the radio or playing in local venues and say "We're better than they are.  Why aren't we getting what they have?"  Then we would play an event or festival and run into other musicians and shake our heads. "They are way better than we are.  Why doesn't anyone notice?" Audiences like what they like.

I am guessing that this woman believes that if women's soccer got the same amount of attention and press, starting in early years, it would have the same popularity as the men's side. If the government and all the biased sports people were just forced tto change, it would all come around right.

No it wouldn't. Not close. Life isn't fair. There are also people, male and female, who work as hard as you do on less popular sports, and you can't make the public show up for those, either.  Please embrace reality and adulthood.

3 comments:

RichardJohnson said...

I am reminded of the issue of parents attending their children's sports events. Supposed to support the child, and all that. My parents never attended any of my sporting events, which never bothered me. I played sports for my own enjoyment, not to please them.

If she is so concerned about being watched, she shouldn't be playing.

Deevs said...

I think you were getting at a similar point, but I suppose it's never occurred to this young lady that if there were as much interest in women's sports as men's, she wouldn't have to worry about having someone fix this "problem".

I've just thought of an experiment we could run to better understand the viewing public's perception of women's sports. Change women's soccer uniforms for one season to baggy capri pants and see what happens to the ratings. Moreover, do the same for the men's uniforms and compare the results.

RichardJohnson, I can't ever remember my parents being at my games, and I don't ever recall being bothered by it, either. I stopped any team sports around 12, though, and took up skateboarding instead. However, I can't remember them attending my band and orchestra concerts, either. Could just be my memory, though, because I'm sure my mother at least attended a senior year choir concert where I had a solo performance. I'm sure she attended a few others, but not everyone. I was the last of six kids, all of whom did sports and/or music. Can you blame her for not showing up to every little thing I was doing?

Thos. said...

Players play.

People who don't play may be many things, but they aren't players.