Wednesday, June 19, 2019

New Moxie Book

You may remember previous commenter and sidebar denizen Sponge-Headed Scienceman. His previous book was a few years ago, about ISO 14001 certification.  Yeah, I didn't read that one.  I'm waiting for the movie to come out. His new one, that came out this month, is much more interesting.  He is one of the very few Moxie authorities on the planet, and this labor of love has finally made it to market.

Moxie is the iconic New England drink, recommended by Ted Williams for decades, originally a patent medicine, and still beloved by many - though despised by the rest.  My wife won't touch the stuff. The flavor of gentian root, which is the most distinctive item in the Moxie recipe, is not universally admired.  I didn't like it as a child, but adopted it as a young father on camping vacations, who wanted to have something that no one else in the family would steal. I, at least, would always have soda even when we were far from civilisation.  That worked for a year, maybe two, as the young sons both developed a taste for it that has not abated. I used to have to have it shipped to Ben in Houston at over $50 a case for his birthday every year, but he can now get it at a specialty store there.

There is a quiet enjoyment in drinking it the old-fashioned way, at room temperature in a 6-oz glass, telling yourself how good it is for your nerves. I feel better just thinking about it.

Because it is an Arcadia Publications book, there are many photographs and illustrations, and it's all here. The early ads for "nerve food," the variations in the recipe, the difficulties of bottling and distribution, plus the horsemobile, the bottle house, and other eccentric attempts to sell product.  Dennis doesn't make much unless the book becomes a national fad, but more sales and good reviews are always welcome.

You can get the write-up in the local Arts & Restaurant publication The Hippo.  Page 38, click through.

4 comments:

Texan99 said...

There was a deli in Houston that sold something called "Celray Tonic" that I used to like. Vaguely celery-like? It's hard to describe the taste, but it wasn't very sweet, which was nice.

Roy Lofquist said...

If you remember Moxie then you'll remember that in New England all sodas were called "tonic" at that time.

RichardJohnson said...

While I had heard of Moxie while growing up in New England,I don't recall having drunk it. A family friend disparaged Moxie's ad campaign, which is probably why I avoided it. I certainly liked enough New England foods or brands, such as fried clams, grinders, baked beans, or Fluff.

I recently tried Moxie. Though rather expensive @ $1.80 a bottle, I sorta liked its flavor. Did I prefer Moxie's flavor to that of Coke or Pepsi? Yup. Would Moxie be my favorite soft drink? Maybe.

Would I purchase Moxie more than twice a year? No.(I can't recall when I last purchased a Coke or Pepsi.)

Given the copious need for liquid refreshment in Texas summers, I need to keep liquid refreshment to mostly ice water. A work colleague on a rig in the Guatemalan jungle- climate much like a Texas summer-gained 10 pounds in a month by consuming soft drinks to keep hydrated.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ Roy - Good pickup. The name "tonic" was a direct descendant of Moxie and the other patent medicine beverages, which were found across the US but much more common here, much earlier.