Saturday, August 01, 2026

Old Saying

An old guy - meaning 20+ years older than me in 1970 - said something that was funny and cynically wise then. "Never eat at a place called Mom's, never play cards with a man named Doc, and never date a woman named Caprice."

No one has ever nodded and laughed at that line, so I stopped saying it. I finally figured out it is because the names are dated. This is what happens when one lives in one's own head and never considers that possibility. An updated version might be funnier, but people don't go into saloons to play cards with strangers anymore, and there are too many dangerous female names that are common words now. Destiny, maybe. 

2 comments:

Tom said...

Tiffany. Definitely Tiffany. See the Hot-Crazy matrix.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

For my purposes, I think it has to be a word in itself.