Sunday, April 21, 2024

Anonymous Donors

I can see how this would definitely be true for some people. The Signal-burying Game. 

Abstract:  People sometimes make their admirable deeds and accomplishments hard to spot, such as by giving anonymously or avoiding bragging. Such ‘buried’ signals are hard to reconcile with standard models of signalling or indirect reciprocity, which motivate costly pro-social behaviour by reputational gains. To explain these phenomena, we design a simple game theory model, which we call the signal-burying game. This game has the feature that senders can bury their signal by deliberately reducing the probability of the signal being observed. If the signal is observed, however, it is identified as having been buried. We show under which conditions buried signals can be maintained, using static equilibrium concepts and calculations of the evolutionary dynamics. We apply our analysis to shed light on a number of otherwise puzzling social phenomena, including modesty, anonymous donations, subtlety in art and fashion, and overeagerness.

I wonder how widespread this is, and hope it doesn't include me.

4 comments:

james said...

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Donna B. said...

Paywall, so I don't know what the game is or how it applies to my giving. I give to small, local organizations that generally don't have access to government or other large granting organizations but are recognized by the IRS. The larger, more recognizable organizations I give to are those that have helped me or others known to me. These include Shriner's and Scottish Rite hospitals, Red Cross, and selected veteran and church charities. None of these are anonymous, but I have no idea to whom I might brag about them.

Otherwise, my giving is to selected individuals who have fallen between the cracks. None of these are in any way tax deductible and generally unknown to anyone except the recipient and me. These range from low/no interest loans, paying legal fees, or just outright giving cash. I've been burned a time or two, but no regrets.


Grim said...

It doesn't include me, because I never make anonymous donations. Or maybe I do, and I want you to look into it so I can get credit; or maybe I do, and I don't want you to look into it because of Mt. 6:2. Or maybe I don't, but I want you to wonder if I really do so you'll begin to give me credit for virtues I don't actually possess. Or maybe....

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Best answer