Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Lobster Is Overrated

One brother sent this along, and it reminded the other brother of the Bert & I stories, beloved by our father, and then by us. 

 

On our return flight last night, the attendant told us she had never been to NH before and asked us what the deal was with lobsters. She had some conversation with those up front, but on my way out I likely undercut their message. "Lobster is overrated. In colonial times it was considered slaves' food." "I understand butter is involved," she smiled.  "A fair point.  But they are still bottom feeders."

They are bottom feeders. When we had to take Kyle to the ER years ago after his mouth got tingly and face was flushed eating lobster (and crab), the doctor offered the opinion that he might not be allergic, but some other ingredient that had gotten down to lobsterland - sewage, medical waste, other attractive things - was what he was reacting against. He regarded this as not uncommon, and speculated that many people who believe they are sensitive or even allergic to shellfish actually are not.  Once bad experience can make any of us wary.  As Kyle was young, he was of course not wary, and had another go at lobster quickly.* (Of course his first lobster rechallenge was when he was camping with friends, far from civilisation.) Out to sea this is less of an issue, and is better the farther one gets from population density, but it is quite real.  Kyle eats lobster just fine now.

I'm not that enamored of the stuff, though I nod to the importance of any food that is a vehicle for butter. Lobster is fine, but it takes work, sometimes the eggs are a nuisance.  Some people regard those as a delicacy, but not all. They change color and look interesting. I think the effort may be part of the charm for some people.

I likely shouldn't talk them down.  People come from out of state and plunk down big money for them, and the life of a lobsterman is difficult.

6 comments:

Donna B. said...

I'm an inland girl. I like my seafood processed and fairly close to being ready to serve.

Christopher B said...

You have my agreement for what it's worth. Both lobster and crab are too much work. I prefer animals that surrender more easily like cows, pigs, and chickens

Mike Guenther said...

My wife's a Mainer and she likes her lobster. Personally I can take it or leave it. Funny thing...she likes the shellfish, but hates fish. I'm the opposite I love the fish, as we were raised up on it as kids, both freshwater and saltwater.

Aggie said...

For me it's the clambake experience - start with the chowder, move on to steamers, then to lobster, work in the corn and potatoes when you feel like it. There's a long family history of it, from our beach vacations; I had a first cousin, once removed, that put on big clambakes, hot rocks, seaweed and all, some quite huge (well over 100 people) as a side business.

I still get a taste for lobster a couple of times a year, and now there are a few places that ship them to you, live. We've put on clam bakes here in Texas for our friends, and they're a ball. Picking over a lobster and gabbing around the table is good messy fun. Ranks just above crawfish boils.

I met Marshall Dodge once, in high school. We were a small chorus, singing Christmas carols in period costume for a Boston morning-news variety show, at the Wayside Inn. Dodge had a short segment with a couple of Down-east yarns and an interview. He was very focused and didn't schmooze much with us after introductions, though. The hostess was a babe and she had his full attention, the dog.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I had forgotten about the Wayside Inn. I technically lived in Sudbury, but we moved there after I had graduated high school and i wasn't there much.

Grim said...

It sounds like the clambake experience is much like the gumbo experience in the coastal Deep South. More butter and less cayenne, but a similar slow cooking of shellfish with many other things to produce a flavorful dish. They used to make it well in Savannah, but I hear that Louisiana has pride of place.